BackgroundPiller Power Systems was founded in Hamburg in 1909 by Anton Piller. Today, Piller is approaching 1000 employees worldwide, with a global presence and international sales and service partners in more than 50 countries. Piller continues to lead in UPS technology and maintain its position as a world leader. Piller is a world-renowned specialist and partner in providing mission-critical power solutions for any application. Piller’s UPS clients include banking and financial institutions, telecommunications networks, broadcasters, healthcare facilities, airports and air traffic control, computer data centres, various production facilities, and many other companies and organizations. All of our clients can expect to receive reliable, high capacity power. Piller converters and related products are widespread in both military and civil applications, providing ground power systems to airports worldwide and shore-to-ship and on-board power systems for both submarine and surface vessels.
Rotary UPSA rotary uninterruptible power supply (UPS) contains rotating components, such as a motor-generator which is used to transfer power to the load. Rotary technology has been used for many years, but first came into prominence when loads exhibited a low power factor. This low power factor would result in increased losses in the power distribution system, meaning an increased energy cost and high harmonics. Prior to the advent of the rotary UPS, users would experience dips in the voltage when other large motors would turn on. In order to address these issues, synchronous condensers were introduced. Over time, these synchronous condensers began to incorporate motor generators, inverters, rectifiers, and then batteries or flywheels, resulting in the modern rotary UPS we see today. A flywheel-driven rotary UPS is used for applications that require a ride-through of power system outages of short duration and voltage dips. When a generator-driven rotary UPS is used, it can provide extended power for an indefinite power outage. A rotary UPS is best suited for environments that are characterized by multiple short inrushes of power. This would include environments where multiple motors are constantly turning on and off, such as satellite broadcast stations.
UB-V SeriesThe UB-V series is designed to provide renewable and sustainable energy sources with bi-directional power flow. This is to feed energy back to the grid. Online mode efficiencies are usually higher than static UPS. UB-V typically operates in the range above 35%, and as such, helps reduce energy costs without compromising your protection. Some features offered by the UB-V series include:
- 98% efficiency, one of the highest in the industry
- Zero maintenance downtime
- An All-new control panel
- Available with Lithium-ion and VLRA battery storage options
Uniblock UBT+The Uniblock UBT+ uses state of the art technology. It has a unique design and offers a variety of options, thus making it perfect for pre-existing or new installations. Some features included in Uniblock UBT+ include:
- Up to 97% efficient
- Design flexibility
- Using building chilled water so that water cooling is available
- 100% load step capability
- Economic power management
A rotary UPS contains rotating components that are used to transfer power to the load. A flywheel-driven rotary UPS is used for applications that require a ride-through of power system outages of short duration and voltage dips. When a generator-driven rotary UPS is used, it can provide extended power for an indefinite power outage. This is best suited for environments that are characterized by multiple short inrushes of power.
The Piller UNIBLOCK UBT+ is a UPS system with state-of-the-art technology. This creative design with a unique number of options makes the UBT+ perfect for any existing or new installations.
The UBT+ offers the highest efficiency and performance with a minimum amount of components. As well, it combines the benefits of all the different power supply configurations for both short term or long term bridging, with standby generation or cogeneration. This can be used in low and medium voltage applications. Additionally, cooling can be done through air or chilled water, not to mention the ride through storage can be through batteries or flywheel.
- UB-V provides on-line efficiency of up to 98% at 100% load and 97% at 50% load when compared with static UPS which typically operate around 96.3% efficiency at both 50% and 100% loads.
- The UB-V UPS has no power capacitors or electric fans, the mean-time between failure of a single unit rises by a factor of 5 times when compared to failure rates of a typical static UPS.
- Piller UB-V UPS features a new control platform incorporating self-diagnostics for predictive maintenance and continual peace of mind. Piller’s e-VENTLOG™ is a new service package with remote monitoring which can make annual service shutdowns a thing of the past. In controlled environments e-VENTLOG™ can completely eliminate the need for an operational shutdown of the UPS for up to five years.